This, the single richest section of the Victorian Web, contains six complete books on Ruskin, another six essays or chapters in books, several of his annotated works, and reviews of recent scholarship. Most of the sitemaps for individual topics have multiple sections with many links. — George P. Landow
- Sitemap for Ruskin's biographical materials
- A Brief Biography
- A Ruskin Chronology
- Ruskin's travels
- Ruskin's tortured relationship with his father
- Ruskin's Madness
- Ruskin interpreting Ruskin (chapter from the Oxford Past masters Ruskin volume)
- Works (includes texts of 55 poems)
- Ruskin's literary relations: sources, influences, confluences, and reputation
- Theme and subject
- Image, symbol, and motif
- Setting and description
- Victorian authors
Genre, mode, and style
- Ruskin as word-painter
- Clive Wilmer on the Memorability of Ruskin's Late Style
- Complex cryptic emblems in Modern Painters V the culmination of experiments with verbal and visual language and beginning of a new style
- Ruskin's titles indicate major change of style
- The sentences of Ruskin, “an artist in prose”
- The associative prose of Fors creates intimacy both marvelous and frightening
- Ruskin as Victorian sage
- Ruskin as Victorian Sage: The Example of "Traffic" [chapter from New Approaches to Ruskin]
- Fantasy in Art and Literature class="book">King of the Golden River
- Ruskin on the Grotesque
- Ruskin as polemical writer
- Ruskin as satirist
- Ruskin as historian and historical thinker
- Sitemap (contains sections on Ruskin's own drawings, watercolors, and photography; his relation with major artists, and his art theories)
- Ruskin's drawings and watercolors — A Ruskin Gallery (70 images)
- Ruskin's allegorical interpretations of Turner
- Ruskin on the Slave Ship
- Ruskin on Snow Storm: Steamboat off a Harbour's Mouth
- Ruskin's Influence on the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood
- The letters of Ruskin and W. Holman Hunt
- The Falling Rocket: Ruskin, Whistler and Abstraction in Art
- Ruskin's Venice — a photographic scrapbook (seven galleries thus far)
- Gothic buildings in France Ruskin draws and discusses
- Portraits of Ruskin in various media — A Ruskin Gallery
- The use and moral value of art
- Ruskin's conception of painting and poetry as expressive arts
- Ruskin's theory of Typical (Symbolical) Beauty
- Ruskin's theory of Vital Beauty
- Ruskin's theory of the sublime
- The Symbolical Grotesque — theories of allegory, artist, and imagination
Social and political history
- Political history (sitemap)
- Social history (sitemap)
- Ruskin As Interpreter of Society (chapter from the Oxford Past masters Ruskin volume)
- Ruskin and the defenders of manufacturing culture
- Ruskin's Political Influences
- Victorian political history***
- Victorian social history***
Other cultural contexts (*** = sitemaps outside this author's folder)
Other resources: Books and Monographs on this site
Helsinger, Elizabeth K. Ruskin and the Art of the Beholder. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1982.
Hewison, Robert. John Ruskin: The Argument of the Eye. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1976..
Landow, George P. The Aesthetic and Critical Theories of John Ruskin. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1971.
_____. Ruskin. ("Past Masters" Series) Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1985.
_____. Victorian Types, Victorian Shadows; Biblical Typology in Victorian Literature, Art, and Thought. Boston and London: Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1980. [Especially chapters 3 and 4.
_____. William Holman Hunt and Typological Symbolism. New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1979. [Ruskin's influence on the Pre-Raphaelites.]
_____. "Your Good Influence On Me:" The Correspondence of John Ruskin and William Holman Hunt. Manchester, England: Rylands Library, 1977.
Peterson, Linda H. “Ruskin's Praeterita: The Attempt at Deconstruction” in Victorian Autobiography: The Tradition of Self-Interpretation. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1986.
Sawyer, Paul L. Ruskin's Poetic Argument: The Design of the Major Works. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1985.
Created 7 August 2015