Victorian Web in a print one.]. Thomas Prosser and William Peachy. Offically opened 1877. Photograph 1977 by George P. Landow. [This image and those below may be freely used without prior permission for any scholarly or educational purpose as long as you credit the photographer and link to this document in a web publication or cite the
Left: Trainshed with Corinthian Columns. Right: Detail of painted ironwork in the spandrels of the canopy. Photographs 2006 by Jacqueline Banerjee. Click on these images and those below to enlarge them.
The spandrels incorporate (in the narrowest corner) the White Rose of York, and in the large roundel, the North Eastern Railway's arms. According to Caroll Meeks's pioneering study of the railroad station as an architectural form,
York became famous for its railroad stations; each successive one was celebrated in its period. The first was opened in 1841. Unusual pains were taken because it was the pride of George Hudson, the "railroad king," whose home town it was. G. T. Andrews, the architect, had a complicated situation to solve since it was a joint station shared by several companies. Some through lines curved by at one side, others came directly in as spurs. The wings which enclosed the four central spurs were built first and a hotel was added across the end shortly after, thus making one of the first "U" plans. Across the ends of the spurs and parallel with the rear of the hotel was a wide cross-platform, permitting passengers and company personnel to move freely among the four lines without having to cross tracks. The building was accessible on the exterior from three sides.
Left: Trainshed. Right: Cast-iron Corinthian column. Photographs 2019 by George P. Landow.
Meeks explains that
In the 1870's two experienced station architects, William Peachy and Thomas Prosser [surely Prosser should come first here, see discussion of the present building], were at work on York's third and present Central Station, using curving lines which required concentrically curved sheds. A refined version of the Newcastle naves was employed. The total diameter was considerably greater but only the central span was wider than those at Newcastle. The width to height ratio is 8:5. Extra height gives added dignity to buildings, if not always to man. The sheds at York are unusually handsome. The five-centered ribs are carefully scaled and the tie rods barely noticeable. These sheds were built at a time when single-span sheds were widely used on the plausible pretext that they permitted greater flexibility. The multiple-span shed at York proved that that type, too, was capable of producing great beauty. It is more beautiful than either of the older ones at Newcastle and Paddington. We should be grateful that these three exist to delight us by their intricate luminous spaces. It is regrettable that so few of them were built.
Left: Pierced cast-iron beams on trainshed roof. Right: Cast-iron clock. Photographs 2019 by Gorge P. Landow.
Portion of trainshed roof now used as canopy for parking automobiles and bicycles.
Crook, J. Mordaunt. The Dilemma of Style: Architectural Ideas from the Picturesque to the Post-Modern. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1987.
Meeks, Caroll L. V. The Victorian Railroad Station: An Architectural History. New Haven: Yale UP, 1956.
Website of the National Railway Museum, York.
Last modified September 30, 2021 -->