Sir Thomas Brock, K.C.B., R.A. 1847-1922
Unveiled 5 February 1906
Cubbon Park, Bangalore
This marble statue of Queen Victoria was unveiled by the then Prince and Princess of Wales on their royal tour of India in 1905-6 (see Brock 178). The Prince declared himself proud to see "the universal love and veneration shown towards her whom they knew as 'Victoria the Good'" (qtd. in "The Royal Tour"). Unusually, despite some protests, the statue has remained in place along with other heritage monuments in the park — Leonard Jennings's slightly later Edward VII, Edward Onslow Ford’s Maharajah of Mysore and Baron Marochetti's equestrian Sir Mark Cubbon.
Photograph by Rajesh Dangi and text by Jacqueline Banerjee. [Click on the image to enlarge it, and mouse over the text for links.]
This image comes, with thanks, from Wikimedia Commons. It may be reused with attribution on the Creative Commons license.