Paintings and lithographs by David Roberts, RA of Eygptian scenes: (left to right) Dromos, or outer Court of the Great Temple at Edfou in Upper Egypt (1840); Karnac (1842); View from under the Portico of the Temple of Dendera (1842). Façade of the Pronaos and the Temple of Edfou (1842). [Click on thumbnails for larger images.]
- Joseph Bonomi (1796-1878)
- James Haliburton (1788-1862)
- Robert Hay
- Edward W. Lane
- Joseph John Scoles (1798-1863)
- Sir John Gardner Wilkinson
Visual Arts and Design
Two plates illustrating Eygptian design from Owen Jones's immensely influential The Grammar of Ornament (1865). [Click on thumbnails for larger images.]
- Joseph Farquharson, Eygptian Market
- Frederick Goodall (5 works on this site)
- William Holman Hunt (3 works on this site)
- Holman Hunt's Eygptian chairs
- Owen Jones and Egyptian design
- John Frederick Lewis (6 works on this site)
- David Roberts and Louis Haghe, Eygpt and Nubia
- Thomas Seddon (5 works on this site)
Architecture and architectural sculpture
- Punch has some fun with the fashion for things Egyptian (1854)
- Punch has some fun with the fashion for things Egyptian (1878)
- Sir Erasmus Wilson, a man obsessed with Cleopatra’s Needle (1878)
Brier, Bob. Egyptomania. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014.
Burlington Fine Arts Club. Exhibition of the Art of Ancient Egypt. Printed for Burlington Fine Arts Club: London, 1895.
Ebers, Georg. Egypt: Descriptive, Historical, and Picturesque. Trans. Clara Bell. Vol. 1 & 2. Cassell: London, 1878.
Gange, David. Dialogues with the Dead: Egyptology in British Culture and Religion, 1822-1922. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2014.
“Dialogues with the Dead May be considered the definitive history of the study of ancient Egypt in nineteenth-century Britain.” — Maria Golia, TLS July 14, 2014.
Lane, Edward William. An Accent of the Manners and Customs of the Ancients. London: 1836.
Poole, Sophia. An Englishwoman in Egypt. 3 vols. London, 1836.
Thompson, Jason. Edward William Lane: The Life of the pioneering Egyptologist and Orientalist. Haus Publishing: 2010. [Review by Robert Irwin in TLS (September 10, 2010): 7.]
Last modified ddatw