Henry Wilson, 1864-1934
Gold in the form of a Gothic reliquary shrine, set with coloured gemstones cut en cabochon and including sapphires, chrysophases, emeralds, the buttresses with pearl finials; the shrine opening to reveal an enamelled figure of the Virgin modelled in the round against a silver leafy tree, the base set with an oval cabochon fire opal.
Drawings for this pendant showing details of the construction are preserved in Wilson's scrapbook of designs now in the Victorian and Albert Museum.
The Fine Art Society, London, has most generously given its permission to use information, images, and text from its catalogues in the Victorian Web. This generosity has led to the creation of hundreds and hundreds of the site's most valuable documents on painting, drawing, sculpture, furniture, textiles, ceramics, glass, metalwork, and the people who created them. The copyright on text and images from their catalogues remains, of course, with the Fine Art Society. [GPL]