St. Andrew’s (formerly All Saint’s) Church
Basett Keeling, architect
Dove Brothers, general contractors
1866
Camberwell [actually located on Glengall Road, Peckham]
Text accompanying the engraving:
This church has been erected through the instrumentality of the Rev. Daniel Moore, of Camden Chapel, and has been assigned a district out of his parish. It is constructed externally of four varieties of stone: Kentish rag, laid in ‘drop courses;’ red Mansfield columns and parts of arches; the general dressings of yellow, with a small admixture of blue, Bath; and bands of both Bath and red Mansfield stone. The roofs of the nave, north aisle, transept, and chancel are covered with bundled Staffordshire roofing-tiles of a small size, with a bright red ridge tile and cresting; the roofs of the western porch, spire, sacrarium, and organ chamber are covered with blue and pink Bangor slates. The interior plan consists of a nave 90 ft. long by 35 ft. wide; a north aisle 45 ft. long by 15 ft. wide, terminating at the east end in a transept 27 ft. in width by 21 ft. 6 in. long; the chancel, which is 24 ft. wide, is raised four steps above the level of the nave, and contains only the stalls for choir and the reading-desks, of which there are two, one on each side, being a continuation of the back row of choir-stalls, but differing from them in design. Beyond the chancel is a sacrarium, 18 ft. wide, with apsidal east end, and raised one step above the chancel, making the total internal length of the church 125 ft. The height of the west gable of the nave is 56 ft, the tower 66 ft., and to the top of the spire 140 ft. The church will seat 900 adults, allowing 20 in. sitting-space for each person, the seats being 2 ft. 8 in. wide. [Text continues below, with additional comments. Mouse over the text for links]