LEEDS, a great town, a township, a parish, and a district in W. R. Yorkshire. The town stands on the river Aire, on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, at a centre of railways, 24 miles SW of York, 42½ NE of Manchester, and 1864, by railway, N by W of London. It is the largest town in Yorkshire, the capital of the West Riding, and the chief seat of the woollen manufacture; it communicates, by inland navigation, with the eastern and the western seas, and with most of the canals and navigable rivers in the kingdom; and it commands an ample system of railway conveyance in all directions, both by main lines, and by connecting branches. — John M. Wilson, The Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870)
History, Geography, and Institutions
- Leeds in 1851 (The Imperial Gazetteer)
- The History of the City from Ancient Times (1870)
- The Streets and Environs of Leeds (1870)
- Manufacturing and Other Trades
- Churches and Chapels (1870)
- Schools and Other Institutions (1870)
- Eminent Men (1870)
Architecture and Sculpture
Blackie, Walker Graham. The Imperial Gazetteer: A General Dictionary of Geography, Physical, Political, Statistical and Descriptive. 4 vol South London: Blackie & Son, 1856. Internet Archive online version of a copy in the University of California Library. Web.9 November 2018.
Wilson, John M. (John Marius). The imperial gazetteer of England and Wales: embracing recent changes in counties, dioceses, parishes, and boroughs: general statistics: postal arrangements: railway systems, &c.; and forming a complete description of the country. 8 vols. Edinburgh: A. Fullarton, 1870.Internet Archive online version of a copy in the Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center. Web. 17 September 2022.
Last modified 16 September 2022