We want to include two types of articles:
- Forum Discussions: Short informative essays of about 1,200 words that are overviews/ summaries of topics without much analytical discussion.
- In-depth, analytical studies of 5,000-8,000 words.
Submission Date: Please submit abstracts of no more than 250 words or entire article and a 4-5-sentence bio of credentials including relevant publications to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 31, 2021.
Potential Topics for Fora (1,200 words)— others welcome
- Marital Scandals
- Family Scandals
Articles (5,000-8,000 words)
- Marital Scandals: Charles Parnell and Kitty O’Shea, Charles Dickens and Ellen, Caroline Norton, Lady Mordaunt
- Family Scandals: Sibling Violations, Murdering Husbands, Committing Wives to Insane Asylums, Hiding the Mentally Ill or Disabled, Incest, Bad Mothers, Pederasty, Bad Fathers, Florence Chandler Maybrick, Mary Ann Robson Cotton
- Prostitution: Child Prostitution, Male Prostitution (rent boys), Female Prostitution, Contagious Disease Acts
- Gender: Same-Sex Sexual Improprieties (LGBTQA+), James Pratt (hanged for sodomy), John Smith (hanged for sodomy), William Bonill (transported), Algernon Charles Swinburne, Oscar Wilde, Lord Alfred Douglas, John Addington Symonds, Edward Carpenter, Lord Arthur Pelham-Clinton, Cross-dressing Gents, Thomas Ernest Boulton and Frederick William Park (Fanny and Stella), Brigham Morris Young (Madam Pattirini), Cross-dressing Ladies, Mary Jane Furneaux (Lord Arthur Clinton), James Miranda Barry (Margaret Ann Bulkle), Ann Walker and Anne Lister and Gentleman Jack, Mary Benson, Michael Field and Katharine Harris Bradley and Edith Emma Cooper, Edith Somerville and Martin Ross (Violet Martin), Ladies of Llangollen, Lady Florence Dixie, Madge Vaughan (and Virginia Woolf), Edith S. Simcox (and George Eliot), Labouchere Amendment, Gross Indecency, Order of Chaeronea, Charles Kains Jackson, Samuel Elsworth Cottam, Montague Summers, John Gabril Nicholson, Bradlaugh-Besant TrialMary Jane Furneaux and James Gething, Wilde v. Queensberry, Regina v. Wilde
- Literature: Female Authors, Male Pseudonyms, Unladylike Writing, Salacious
- Literature (Worm in the Bud), French Novels, Scandalous Novels (Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Lady Audley’s Secret, Tess, Tenant of Wildfell Hall, Jude the Obscure), Decadent Movement, Aesthetic Movement, Uranian Poets, Yellow Journalism (W. T. Stead’s Maiden Tribute of Babylon), Carmilla by Joseph Thomas Sheridan Le Fanu
- Theater: Lily Elsie, Adrienne Adele Augarde, Dan Leno, William Julian Dalton/Julian Eltinge
- Royals: Queen Victoria and John Brown, Queen Victoria and Abdul Karim, Bertie (King Edward II)
- Military: James Miranda Barry (Margaret Ann Bulkle), Florence Nightingale, Hannah Snell
- Monetary: Fraud, Extortion, Gambling, Government, Leonard Edmunds
- Church Scandals and Occult Practices
- Reformers: Suffragettes, National Secular Society, Charles Bradlaugh, Annie Besant, Birth Control, London Matchgirls Strike of 1888, Criminal Law Amendment Act 1885, Josephine Butler, Clara Pater
Last modified 15 July 2021