Emmanuel Galizia (1830-1906)
This gate replaced the old "Porta del Monte" (named after one of the old Grand Masters), which had also been known as the "Porta Marina." It was planned during the governship of Sir Arthur Borton, who laid the foundation stone in 1884; it was opened to the public in the following year. The wider arched entrances "provided a thoroughfare for carriages, riders and heavy traffic, whilst pedestrians used the smaller doors on each side" (information plaque). The arched entrances are surmounted by the coats of arms of Malta and Valletta, "whilst Britain's provides a very decorative frontispiece" (Grech 90).