Original premises of the Ladies' College

Bedford Square


Elisabeth Reid aimed to establish an institution for women quite "free from Anglican influence and open to dissenters and others" (Ashton 27). With support from strong-minded women like Fanny Wedgwood and Harriet Martineau, she harnessed the services of a galaxy of teachers from University College, including the physiologist William B. Carpenter and the mathematician and logician Augustus De Morgan. The school department was opened in 1854.

Related Material

  • Queen's College School and the "Ladies' College" School
  • Historical plaque, Queen's College School, main entrance
  • Photograph by Jacqueline Banerjee.

    This image may be used without prior permission for any scholarly or educational purpose.