Napoleon as Mars the Peacemaker
Antonio Canova (1757-1822)
Apsley House, Hyde Park Corner, London
Although Napoleon himself commissioned this statue at the height of his powers, the colossal nude displeased him, and it was not publicly displayed. In 1816, the Louvre sold it to the British, and the Prince Regent presented it to the Duke of Wellington (see "Napoleon as Mars the Peacekeeper"). [Commentary continues below].
By courtesy of English Heritage Apsley House, for purposes of the review in the link above. Text and formatting by Jacqueline Banerjee.[Click on the image to enlarge it and mouse over the text for links.]