Photographs by © Ray Brown (all rights reserved); text adapted, with kind permission, from his entry on the church's stained glass in Stained Glass Australia: Historical Stained Glass Windows, and reformatted for our website by Jacqueline Banerjee, who also added the brief captions. [Click on the images to enlarge them].

Left: Whole window. Right: Tracery lights.

Three-light stained glass window by Michael and Arthur O'Connor at St Luke’s Richmond, installed in 1864 over the altar illustrating three verses in the "Te Deum."

Left to right: (a) King David playing the harp, with Moses and a prophet to the right, and possibly Bathsheba, nother of Solomon, listening raptly. (b) Jesus, the central figure, at the Ascension. (c) A martyr being stoned.

According to the The Mercury, Hobart, Tasmania, 23 March 1864:

A new stained glass window has just been completed in Richmond church. It is of great beauty, and reflects very much credit upon the makers, M. and A. O’Connor, of Oxford-street, London. The designs are carried out in a most faithful manner, and the figures are naturally and gracefully drawn. The subjects are intended to illustrate three verses of “The Te Deum.” First, “The glorious company of the Apostles praise Thee.” Second, “The goodly fellowship of the Prophets praise Thee.” Third, “The noble army of Martyrs praise Thee.” The tracery is filled in with appropriate symbols and emblems. The funds for the window have been raised chiefly by the exertions of young persons in collection small subscriptions. [3]

The lower part of the window, decorated with foliage and carrying the "Te Deum" inscription below.

Created 21 October 2023