Photograph by © Ray Brown (all rights reserved); text adapted, with kind permission, from his entry on the church's stained glass in Stained Glass Australia: Historical Stained Glass Windows, and reformatted for our website by Jacqueline Banerjee. [Click on the image to enlarge it].

Along with the four-light window at the liturgical east end, depicting ten scenes from the life of Christ, there are two further windows by Michael O'Connor in St John the Baptist, Goulburn Street, Hobart. This two-light window at the west end of the north aisle is dedicated to the late Plymouth-born Lieutenant-Governor of Van Diemen's Land, Sir George Arthur (1784-1854), and depicts St John’s Baptism of Christ in the River Jordan [left] and Christ at the Last Supper [right].

Unfortunately, the window was smashed when burglars broke into the church early in 1882 (see The Mercury, Hobart, TAS, 10 January 1882: 2). It was many years before it was repaired. In 1903 both this and the East window were removed when the whole east end wall of the church was rebuilt, but they were reinstalled, most likely by the local firm of Trowbridge Bros (although no record exists of this).

Links to Related Material

Created 17 October 2023