Detail of the dust-jacket for the original 1978 volume.
- 1. Dickens and Browne: Illustration, Collaboration, and Iconography
- 2. The Beginnings of " Phiz": Pickwick, Nickleby, and the Emergence from Caricature
- 3. From Caricature to Progress: Master Humphrey's Clock and Martin Chuzzlewit
- 4. Dombey and Son: Iconography of Social and Sexual Satire
- 5. David Copperfield: Progress of a Confused Soul
- 6. Bleak House and Little Dorrit: Iconography of Darkness
- 7. Phiz the Illustrator: An Overview and a Summing Up
- Appendix: A Checklist of Browne’s Works 1836-1859
Steig, Michael. Dickens and Phiz. Bloomington: Indiana U. P., 1978.
Created 27 December 2002
Last modified 24 January 2023