The Characters in the Story
14.6 cm high x 9.2 cm wide, vignetted
Ornamental title-page for A Tale of Two Cities in A Tale of Two Cities, American Notes, and Pictures from Italy, Charles Dickens Library Edition (1910), facing XIII, frontispiece.
[Click on the image to enlarge it.]
- Darnay before the revolutionary tribunal
- Dissolute Carton and arrogant Stryver
- The Marquis at the fountain, and (earlier, in flashback) murdering Madame Defarge's brother
- The Defarges in the wineshop
- Mr. Lorry at Tellson's Bank
- The Vengeance beating her drum
- Dr. Manette, Lucie, and Miss Pross
Scanned image and text by Philip V. Allingham.
[You may use these images without prior permission for any scholarly or educational purpose as long as you (1) credit the photographer and (2) link your document to this URL in a web document or cite the Victorian Web in a print one.]