“Manchester College occupies a fine site in Mansfield road, about midway between the new Mansfield College (75) and the five-century old 'New' College of Wykeham (12). The E. front faces Mansfield-road, extending northward to Savile-road.”
“This institution was founded in 1786 at Manchester as the Manchester Academy, and dedicated to " Truth, to Liberty, to Religion." In 1803 it was removed to York ; but in 1840 it was brought back to Manchester, and was affiliated to the University of London. In 1853 it was removed to London; but the Trustees having ultimately decided to transfer their academic institution to this old home of culture and study, it found a local habitation in temporary rooms on 25th Oct., 1889, and the College was formally opened four years later.”
“The new buildings form a small quadrangle, with Entrance Tower and Gateway on the E. side. Chapel and Library with Lecture-rooms S. and N., and on the W. the domestic buildings and offices. The memorial stone was laid on October 20th, 1891, and the college was formally opened on October 18th, 1893, the late Dr. James Martineau taking part in the ceremony. The Chapel is a lofty and beautiful structure, with richly carved oak stalls, pulpit, and eagle, and a good organ by Gray and Davison, Numerous additions have been made to its adornment by various friends, including especially a series of stained glass windows by the late Mr. W. Morris designed by the late Sir E. Burne-Jones, and a very handsome oak screen, the gift of Mr. Arthur Greg in memory of his brother Mr. H. R. Greg, the late President of the College. The screen is by Messrs. Pearson and Brown of Salford: the delicate carving by Messrs. Earp and Hobbs of Manchester. The Library, a fine room 50 ft., by 30 ft., was built mainly at the cost of Mr. Henry Tate, of London, who contributed; £10,000. A marble statue of the venerable Dr. Martineau by Mr. Hope Pinker was unveiled Oct. 18, 1898, and a stained glass window has been presented by the congregation of Cairo Street Chapel in Warrington, the College being the successor of the Warrington Academy." The architects were Messrs. Worthington and Son, of Manchester.”
“Like Mansfield, this college is not intended for the reception of undergraduates, but to afford a theological training to men who have already graduated in the usual way. Some houses in Holywell-street, south of the college, have been fitted up as an academic Hall for the students, known as Addis Hall. The College adheres to its original principle of freely imparting theological knowledge, without insisting on the adoption of particular theological doctrines.” (Alden's Oxford Guide, 123-24).
Victorian and modern photographs
Album of Oxford Photographs containing 20 Views printed by the permanent collotype process. [Vol 2.] Oxford: Miss Beesley, Fancy Stationery Repository, 43, High Street, Oxford, nd. Internet Archive version of a copy in St. Michael's College Toronto. 4 October 2012.
Alden, Edward C. Alden's Oxford Guide. Oxford: Alden & Co, 1903. Internet Archive version of a copy in St. Michael's College Toronto. 6 October 2012.
Last modified 3 October 2012