Hampton Court Palace
Image and text scanned by Nathalie Chevalier.
This image may be used without prior permission for any scholarly or educational purpose.
The Palace is the largest royal palace in Great Britain, and was originally founded in 1515 by Cardinal Wolsey, the favourite of Henry the VIII., and was afterwards presented by him to the King.
It was built of red brick with battlemented walls, on the site of a property mentioned in Domesday Book. The palace was subsequently occupied by Cromwell, the Stuarts, William the III., and the first two Monarchs of the house of Hanover. In 1604 the Hampton Court Conference between the Puritans and the Episcopalians met here under James the 1st. as moderator. The present state apartments were built by Sir Christopher Wren to the order of William III. Since the time of George II. Hampton Court has ceased to be a royal residence, and over 800 of its 1,000 rooms are now occupied in suites by aristocratic pensioners of the Crown [text accompanying photograph.]
The volume containing these images by an unidentified photographer bears the imprint "With H. and C. F. Feist's compliments" but no name, date, or place of publication, though the Feists were dealers in port wine, and Plate 30 demonstrates that the photograph must have been taken after 1902, and John R. Mendel offers evidence that it dates before mid-1906 [GPL].
- "Hampton Court Palace" (As Seen from Across the River at Richmond)." The 1843 Illustrated London News.
Last modified 7 November 2003