Few cities which can boast an antiquity at all comparable with that of Liverpool have so ruthlessly obliterated all the visible memorials of their past. Though it is seven hundred years since the borough was founded, it contams no building of any importance which is two hundred and fifty years old and only two (St. Peter's Church and the old Bluecoat School, both apparently doomed to destruction) which carry us back as far as two hundred years. Scores of towns and villages of less antiquity and dignity than Liverpool can at least show a church dating back to the fourteenth century or earlier. But Liverpool has demolished its ancient churches, and rebuilt them in modern style: the church of Walton, which was mentioned in Domesday Book, and is the mother-church of all this district, was rebuilt in instalments during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries; the ancient Liverpool chapel of St. Nicholas, which had been the centre of the life of the borough ever since its erection in the middle of the fourteenth century, was demolished and rebuilt by our unsentimental ancestors during the same period; the still more ancient little chapel of St. Mary of the Quay vanished altogether. — Muir Ramsay, Bygone Liverpool (1913).
Located at the tidal mouth of the river Mersey where it meets the Irish Sea, the maritime mercantile City of Liverpool played an important role in the growth of the British Empire. It became the major port for the mass movement of people, including slaves and emigrants from northern Europe to America. Liverpool was a pioneer in the development of modern dock technology, transport systems and port management, and building construction..... All through this period, and particularly in the 19th and early 20th centuries, Liverpool gave attention to the quality and innovation of its architecture and cultural activities. To this stand as testimony its outstanding public buildings, such as St. George's Hall, and its museums. — "Liverpool – Maritime Mercantile City" (Unesco World Heritage list).
- St George's Hall, Lime Street, Liverpool, by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes and C. R. Cockerell (many views)
- The Liverpool Collegiate Instiution by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes
- Lime Street and St George's Hall
- The Liverpool Museum
- Pugin's St. Oswald's
- Pugin's The Convent of Our Lady of Mercy,
- Entrance of the Railway at Edge-Hill
- Herbert MacNair's Studio, 54 Oxford Street
- The Albert Dock, pumphouse, warehouses, and other views
- The Picton Reading Room
- The Walker Art Gallery
- The William Brown Library and Museum (now the World Museum) by Thomas Allom and others
- Victoria Building, Liverpool University warehouses
- Mackenzie and Moncur's Palm House, Sefton Park (3 views)
- Philharmonic Hotel
- C.O. Ellison & Son's Liverpool Eye and Ear Infirmary
- The Reform Club
- The Custom House and Canning Dock, Liverpool (1839)
- March Out of the Blue-Coats School on St. George's Day, 1843,
- St. Nicholas's Church and Tower Buildings (1846)
- Royal Liver Building, and Liver birds (1908-11), Pier Head
- Oriel Chambers, Water Street (1864-65)
Monuments, Sculpture, and Parks
- Queen Victoria by Thomas Thornycroft
- Prince Albert by Thomas Thornycroft
- Eros by Sir Alfred Gilbert
- Peter Pan by Sir George Frampton
- Canon Thomas Major Lester by Sir George Frampton
- Sir Arthur B. Forwood by Sir George Frampton
- William Rathbone by Sir George Frampton
- King's Liverpool Regiment Memorial
- Edward VII Memorial
- Mgr. James Nugent by Frederick William Pomeroy
- Alexander Balfour by Albert Bruce-Joy
- St John's Gardens
- Christopher Columbus by Léon-Joseph Chavalliaud
- Charles Darwin by Léon-Joseph Chavalliaud
- News Room War Memorial by Joseph Philips
- Michelangelo, by John Warrington Wood
- Raphael, by John Warrington Wood
- Queen Victoria visiting Liverpool in 1851, by John Warrington Wood
- Memorial to the Engine Room Heroes by Sir William Goscombe John
- The Nelson Memorial by Sir Richard Westmacott
Cityscapes and Related Landscapes
- Salthouse Docks, Liverpool by Atkinson Grimshaw.
- Excavation of Olive Mount, 4 Miles from Liverpool by Thomas Talbot Bury
Cavanagh, Terry. Public Sculpture of Liverpool. Liverpool: Liverpool University Press, 1996.
Friends of Liverpool Monuments. Liverpool Maritime Mercantile City World Heritage Site: Sculptures of the Commercial Quarter. Leaflet available in the tourist information office in the city centre.
Sharples, Joseph, and Richard Pollard. "Liverpool." Lancashire: Liverpool and the South West, by Pollard et. al. The Buildings of England series. New Haven: Yale, 2006. 242ff.
Lewis, David. Walks Through History: Liverpool. Derby: Breedon, 2007.
"Liverpool — Matritime Merantile City." Unesco World Heritage List. Web. 18 July 2016.
Muir, Ramsey. Bygone Liverpool illustrated by ninety-seven plates reproduced from original paintings, drawings, manuscripts, and prints with historical descriptions by Henry S. and Harold E. Young. Liverpool: Henry Young and Sons, 1913. Internet Archive version of a copy in the University of Toronto Library.
"Royal Liver Building." British Listed Buildings. Web. 18 July 2016.
Sharples, Joseph, with contributions by Richard Pollard. Liverpool. Pevsner Architectural Guides. New Haven: Yale, 2004.
Sharples, Joseph, and Richard Pollard. "Liverpool." Lancashire: Liverpool and the South West, by Pollard et. al. The Buildings of England series. New Haven: Yale, 2006.
"Spirit of Liverpool" (a National Conservation Centre site). Viewed 13 June 2009.
"The Wellington Memorial (1861-3) and The Steble Fountain." Viewed 13 June 2009.
Last modified 19 July 2016