Works illustrated on this site
- Nocturne in Black and Gold: The Falling Rocket (Detroit Institute of the Arts)
- Arrangement in Gray: Portrait of the Painter (Detroit Institute of the Arts)
- Arrangement in Grey and Black, No. 2: Portrait of Carlyle (Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Glasgow)
- Harmony in Grey and Green: Portrait of Miss Cicely Alexander (Tate Britain)
- Harmony in Pink and Grey: Portrait of Lady Meux (Frick Collection)
- Arrangement in Black: La Dame au brodequin jaune — Portrait of Lady Archibald Campbell (Philadelphia Museum of Art)
- Arrangement in Flesh Colour and Black: Portrait of Theodore Duret (Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York)
- Arrangement in Black and Gold: Comte de Montesquiou (Frick Collection)
- Portrait of Miss Woakes
- The Sea Shore
Works not illustrated on this site
- Arrangement in Grey and Black No. 1 [Whistler's Mother] (Musée d'Orsay)
- At the Piano (Cincinnati Art Museum)
- Symphony in White, No.1: The White Girl (National Gallery of Art)
- Symphony in White, No.2: The Little White Girl (Tate Britain)
- Nocturne in Blue and Gold: Old Battersea Bridge (Tate Britain)
Dorment, Richard and M.F. MacDonald. . Tate Gallery Publications, 1994.
Getscher, Robert W. The Stamp of Whistler. Exhibition catalogue. Oberlin, Ohio: Allen Memorial Art Museum, 1977.
Lochnan, K. Turner, Whistler, Monet. London: Tate Publishing, 2004.
MacDonald, Margaret F., Susan Grace Galassi, and Aileen Ribiero with Patricia de Montfort. Whistler, Women, and Fashion. New Haven and London: Frick Collection and Yale University Press, 2003.
Merrill, Linda. A Pot of Paint: Aesthetics on Trial in Whistler v. Ruskin. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1992.
Whistler, J.M. Mr Whistler’s “Ten O’Clock”. London: Chatto and Windus, 1888.
Whistler, J.M. The Gentle Art of Making Enemies. London: William Heinemann, 1890.
Wilmer, Clive. “The Falling Rocket: Ruskin, Whistler and Abstraction in Art” Victorian Web. [Complete text].
Weintraub, Stanley. Whistler: A Biography. New York: Weybright and Taslley, 1994.
Last modified 21 January 2012