The Annunciation The Annunciation

The Annunciation, adapted by J. H. Dearle from an original design of 1872 by Sir Edward Burne-Jones for Castle Howard (Bond and Dear 19). Manufacturer: Morris and Co. 1910 This image is the first in a series of four in the Epiphany Chapel, Winchester Cathedral, fitted out for the Reverend Canon Valpy for his private devotions (Warren 89).

Photograph by Colin Price, reproduced here by kind permission of the Dean and Chapter of Winchester Cathedral. Click on the image to enlarge them.

Related Material

References

Crook, John. Winchester Cathedral: Nine Hundred Years, 1093-1993. Chichester: Phillimore, 1993.

Bond, David, and Glynis Dear. The Stained Glass Windows of William Morris and His Circle in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. Hampshire County Council, 1998.

Warren, William Thorn. Illustrated Guide to Winchester. Rev. ed. 1922. Google Books, very limited view, but see also John Crook above.


Created 24 August 2016