MAY 29 . Went to London Library (12 St. James's Square). A meeting of members was being held up-stairs . . . I stood by the door while Gladstone was speaking near the fire place. Gladstone, a dusky-complexioned spare middle-sized man, with grey hair, thin and straggling; eyes very black and rather bright; earnest expression; with a sort of approach to a slouch in his manner and bearing. He spoke fluently but not at all rapidly; sentences rather winding and long drawn out like honey you must twist the spoon to break off. When he had spoken, an old benevolent looking aquiline-nosed stooping man (the Archbishop of Dublin) made a few remarks, in the course of which, Gladstone quietly took his hat and sloped out stealing close by me to the door. — Alfred Domett, Diary, 227
Gladstone: Four times British Prime Minister, grand old man of the liberal party, scholar, financier, theologian, orator, humanitarian, and thorn in the side of Benjamin Disraeli, who, when asked to define the difference between a misfortune and a calamity, replied, "If Mr. Gladstone were to fall into the Thames, it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out, it would be a calamity." — Anne Fadiman, Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader, 140
- A Gladstone Chronology
- Gladstone's rescue work with 'fallen women'
- Government of Ireland Bill, 1886
- Accomplishments of the Administration, 1871
- “Robert Elsmere and the battle of belief” — Gladstone's review of Ward's novel
- Gladstone's letter of proposal to Catherine Glynne
Portraits of Gladstone: Monuments, Paintings, Caricature
- The Right Honourable W. E. Gladstone (painting by J. E. Millias)
- Gladstone (bust by J. Acton-Adams)
- Gladstone memorial (full-length bronze by W. H. Thornycroft, London)
- Gladstone (full-length bronze by W. H. Thornycroft, Glasgow)
- Gladstone (full-length marble by T. Brock, Westminster Abbey)
- Gladstone (full-length bronze by T. Brock, Liverpool)
- Gladstone (bust by E. Onslow Ford, Lady Lever Art Gallery)
- Gladstone (bust by H. C. Fehr, Hotel Russell, London)
- Gladstone (medal by A. Legros)
- Gladstone (bust by T. Woolner)
- Rt Hon. William Ewart Gladstone (photograph by Mayall)
- Punch caricatures
Feuchtwanger, EJ. Gladstone. London, 1989.
Magnus, P. Gladstone: a biography. London, John Murray, 1954.
Matthew, HCG. Gladstone 1809-1898. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1996.
Last modified 25 July 2014