The Historical Context of the Expedition and Its Fate
- The Search for the North-West Passage: 1497-1845
- The Franklin Expedition: 1845-1859
- The Illustrated London News and Relics of the Lost the Franklin Expedition
- Cannibals on the Northern Ice: Nationalist Ideals, the Big Lie, and the Franklin Expedition
- "The discovery of the remains of some members of the lost Franklin Expedition." Harper's Weekly (1859)
- The 2014 Discovery of one of the ships from the Franklin expedition
- Review of "Death in the Ice: The Shocking Story of Franklin's Final Expedition" (exhibition), and Gillian Hutchinson's Sir John Franklin's Erebus and Terror Expedition: Lost and Found
- Review of Michael Palin's Erebus: The Story of a Ship
Monuments and Other Cultural Associations
- Monument to the Lost Franklin Expedition, London
- Memorial to Joseph René Bellot, Cutty Sark Gardens, Greenwich, London
- Sir John Franklin Memorial, at the Old Royal Naval College Chapel, Greenwich
- M'Clintlock's Expedition in Search of Franklin and what he found (3 images)
- Monument to John Rae, MC, LL.D, FRS, FRGS (the explorer who reported cannibalism)
- Wilkie Collins's No Name (1862): Charles Dickens, Sheridan's The Rivals, and the Lost Franklin Expedition
Dore, Jonathan. “Franklin Fever: Discovering the Truth about a Victorian Expedition.” TLS (23 September 2016): 23.
Hutchinson, Gillian. Sir John Franklin's Erebus and Terror Expedition: Lost and Found. London: Adlard Coles Nautical (Bloomsbury), 2017 [review].
Keates, Jonathan. “In the Back of Beyond: The Extraordinary Victorian litter of a doomed Polar journey.” TLS (1 September 2017): 19. [A review of Death in the Ice, an exhibition at the National Maritime Museum, London.]
Potter, Russell A. Finding Franklin: The Untold Story of a 165-year Search. McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2016.
“Russell Potter’s thoughtful, generous, deeply informed and elegant book deserves to be read. ” — Jonathan Dore.
Ryan, Karen. Death in the Ice: The Shocking Story of Franklin's Final Expedition. Gatineau, Quebec: Canadian Museum of History, 2017.
Last modified 31 July 2015