Lamb House, West Street, Rye
When William James visited Henry James here in the autumn of 1899, he described "Harry's place" as "a most exquisite collection of quaint little stage properties, three quarters of an acre of brick-walled English garden, little brick courts and out-houses, old-time kitchen and offices, paneled chambers and tiled fire-places, but all very simple and on a small scale" (111). The house is now a National Trust property.
Photograph © Simon Carey, at the Geograph website, and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence. Text and formatting by Jacqueline Banerjee. [Click on the image to enlarge it, and mouse over the text for links.]