The Flask (1874). Flask Walk, Hampstead, London NW3. Photograph by George P. Landow 2008. This image may be used without prior permission for any scholarly or educational purpose.
According to the Flask's own elegant website, in 1874 it replaced "a village pub, known as the Thatched House, where [fresh Hampstead water] was bottled and sold at threepence a flask. It was also sold to the taverns and coffee houses of London. Soon it acquired dubious medicinal qualities, relieving "complaints . . . of idleness, dissipation and frivolity". Jacqueline Banerjee adds that it is a Grade II listed building designed by the partnership of Cumming and Nixon, which still has the original "'mahogany and glass partitions and bar fittings and counter, wall tiles, cast-iron fireplaces with tile surrounds, moulded cornices," and a "partition screen in the lounge bar with Victorian chromolithographs" (listing text).
List Entry: Flask Public House. English Heritage. Web. 27 July 2014.
Last modified 23 May 2008