The Old Gateway

The Royal School of Mines

Sir Aston Webb


Prince Consort Road

Founded in 1851, the year of th Great Exhibition, the Royal School of Mines now houses Imperial College's departments of geology, engineering, and material science. According to Jones and Woodward, it was the last of Webb's three buildings in "hard white stone" in South Kensington, the other two being the Victoria and Albert Museum and Imperial College. "The monumental central semicircular niche with sculptures is impressive but cramped" (188). According to the school's site, T. H. Huxley was its first dean.