This image may be used without prior permission for any scholarly or educational purpose.
The present Palace occupies the site of Buckingham House, erected by John Sheffield, Duke of Buckingham, in 1703, and was purchased by George III in 1761, and occasionally occupied by him. His successor, George IV, caused it to be remodelled by Nash, in 1825.
The Gardens at the back of the Palace contain a Summer House, decorated with eight frescoes from Milton's "Comus" by Landseer, Stanfield, Maclise, Eastlake, Dyce, Leslie, Unwins, and Ross. [From original untitled volume]]
The volume containing these images by an unidentified photographer bears the imprint "With H. and C. F. Feist's compliments" but no name, date, or place of publication, though the Feists were dealers in port wine, and Plate 30 demonstrates that the photograph must have been taken after 1902, and John R. Mendel offers evidence that it dates before mid-1906 [GPL].